Broker-Dealers, State Investment Advisers and SEC Investment Advisers

Broker Dealer

Investment Adviser

Investment Adviser Representative

What's New

  • 9/23/16 - Effective September 1, 2016, sole proprietors, who are deemed to be investment adviser representatives, are required to file Form U-4 with the Central Registration Depository ("CRD").  Please note that if you are filing a Form U-4 for a sole proprietor, the $25 registration fee and $25 annual renewal fees are waived.
  • 2/1/16 - DBO Outcomes Report
  • 12/31/15 - Effective January 1, 2016, individuals engaging in business as finders may apply for an exemption from broker-dealer requirements by filing the Statement of Information form with the Department of Business Oversight and paying a filing fee of $300.00. Specifically, Assembly Bill 667 created a new exemption from the broker-dealer requirements under the Corporate Securities Law of 1968 for finders, or individuals who, for compensation, introduce potential investors and issuers of securities to each other. The exemption is only available to individuals who meet the statutory definition of a finder and comply with certain conditions. If you have any questions concerning the exemption requirements or how to file for the exemption, please contact the Broker-Dealer and Investment Adviser Division main phone line at (916) 322-6270.

    The finder exemption form is available here.

  • For Archives Click Here