Pursuant to the Governor’s Reorganization Plan No. 2 on July 1, 2013, the Department of Corporations and Department of Financial Institutions became the Department of Business Oversight. Learn more.
The Department of Business Oversight (DBO) provides protection to consumers and services to businesses engaged in financial transactions. The DBO regulates a variety of financial services, products and professionals. The Department oversees the operations of state-licensed financial institutions, including banks, credit unions, money transmitters, issuers of payment instruments and travelers checks, and premium finance companies. Additionally, the Department licenses and regulates a variety of financial businesses, including securities brokers and dealers, investment advisers, deferred deposit transactions (commonly known as payday loans) and certain fiduciaries and lenders. The Department also regulates the offer and sale of securities, franchises and off-exchange commodities. For the complete list, see the Department’s page about Licensees and Regulated Industries.
The Department launched a new Self-Service Portal as a result of the Document Quality Network (DOCQNET) project implementation. Securities permit applications and exemption notices filed pursuant to the Corporate Securities Law of 1968 and franchise applications and exemption notices filed under the Franchise Investment Law may be filed and paid online using the Portal. Companies licensed under the California Finance Lenders Law, California Deferred Deposit Transaction Law, and Escrow Law, may access the Portal to submit applications for licensure, view the status of applications, submit annual report information, and update contact information. LOEN and Cal-EASI databases are accessible and searchable from the Portal. For more information on the project, including helpful tutorials and FAQs, please visit www.dbo.ca.gov/docqnet.
- 11/20/14 - Draft Tribal Consultation Policy. The Department of Business Oversight’s draft Tribal Consultation Policy is now available. All California Indian Tribes are invited to review and comment on the draft policy. Comments should be submitted to Tribal Liaison Tony Lehtonen at 916-322-5979, at Tony.Lehtonen@dbo.ca.gov, or by mail to 1515 K Street, Suite 200, Sacramento, CA 95814.
- 11/13/14 - Monthly Bulletin Volume 02, Number 04
- 11/10/14 – California Department of Business Oversight Issues Advisory on Military Pension Advance Plans
The Department has posted an advisory to consumers and investors of the risks of pension advance plans for military service members and veterans.
- 10/23/14 –The Commissioner of Business Oversight Commissioner proposes to adopt regulations under the California Finance Lenders Law and the California Residential Mortgage Lending Act. The proposed regulations would clarify that nondepository operating subsidiaries, affiliates, and agents of federal banks and other financial institutions are required to be licensed and regulated by the Department of Business Oversight. The period within which to comment on this proposed regulatory action ends on December 8, 2014. (Notice of Proposed Rulemaking PRO 03/13)
Press ReleasesMore Press Releases »
- DBO Self-Service Portal - The Portal will significantly improve how we communicate with applicants and licensees and enhance consumer support. For more information, visit DBO’s Self-Service Portal.
- DBO Order - Electronic Communications (Designated E-Mail) - To register or update the designated email for your business, visit DBO’s Secure Designated Email Portal.
- Information on Central Locations for Service of Legal Process - In accordance with Code of Civil Procedure Section 684.115 (AB 2364).
More Licensee Resources »
- 09/12/14 - **Cash N More at 21919 Sherman Way, Canoga Park, CA**
The California Department of Business Oversight has been notified that a business operating under the name Cash N More of Canoga Park, California is offering deferred deposit transactions, commonly known as payday loans, to California residents without a license…
- Financial Services Search
- Financial Institutions Search
- Forms and Applications
- Job Opportunities
- What’s New
Where Do I Find?...
DBO Call Center
- Toll-Free 1-866-275-2677 (English)