Consumer Services

File a Complaint

The Department of Business Oversight (DBO) encourages financial services consumers to submit complaints if they believe a DBO licensee has violated state law or acted improperly, or if they believe a company or person is conducting unlicensed activity that falls within the DBO's jurisdiction.

You should always file your complaint with the DBO, regardless of whether you are trying to resolve your dispute through another forum. The DBO relies on complaints to help us protect consumers, borrowers and investors, and obtain redress for them when they're victimized by unlawful, unfair or fraudulent business practices.

The DBO evaluates and reviews complaints and takes appropriate action when it finds violations of the laws and regulations we administer. Enforcement actions may include administrative orders to: stop violations of laws; deny, suspend or revoke licenses; take possession of licensees; suspend or bar individuals from participating in a regulated industry; and levy penalties. The DBO also can file civil actions to stop violations of the laws, appoint receivers over companies, and obtain restitution for consumers and penalties against violators.

If the DBO does not have jurisdiction over the matter, we will help direct you to the proper regulatory or law enforcement agency.

Search for DBO Licensees

Submit Your Complaint

For A Faster Response We Recommend Filing Online
If your complaint is regarding one of the following:
Business and Industrial Development Corporations (BIDCO)
Credit Unions
Foreign (Other Nation) Banks
Foreign (Other State) Banks
Industrial Banks
Local Agency Security Program (LASP)
Money Transmitters
Premium Finance Companies
Trust Companies and Departments
California Finance Lenders
California Residential Mortgage Lenders
Capital Access Companies
Check Sellers, Bill Payers and Proraters
Deferred Deposit Transactions (Commonly known as Payday Loans)
Escrow Agents/ Escrow Laws
Investment Advisers
Mortgage Loan Originators
Securities Broker Dealers
Student Loan Servicing
PACE (Property Assessed Clean Energy) Providers
File A Complaint Complaint Status  Complaint Status

File a Complaint by Mail

To submit a complaint by mail, download the Complaint Form (PDF) or Formulario de Quejas de el Consumidor (PDF) and mail to:

Department of Business Oversight
Attn: Consumer Services
1515 K Street, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95814

The Department will provide a letter or email acknowledging receipt of your complaint and a description of the next steps in the complaint process.
If you need assistance with the complaint form, please call 1-866-275-2677.

Important Information on DBO's Legal Authority

  • We facilitate communication between consumers and financial institutions, but we do not act as an advocate for either party.
  • We do not have the statutory authority to award damages, overturn fines or other charges, etc.
  • We do not act as a court of law or as a lawyer on your behalf.
  • We cannot provide legal advice.
  • We do not become involved in complaints that are in litigation or have been litigated.
  • We do not resolve factual disputes or disagreements over the interpretation of contracts.

If the circumstances of your complaint make it advisable to consult an attorney, the California Courts Free & Low-Cost Legal Help website provides information you may find useful.

Notice Required Under State Law

Your Privacy