Division of Corporations
The Division of Corporations (DOC) licenses and regulates securities brokers and dealers, investment advisers and financial planners, consumer and commercial lenders including mortgage lenders, deferred deposit or payday lenders, escrow companies, and certain other fiduciaries. The DOC also regulates the offer and sales of securities, franchises and off-exchange commodities.
The Financial Services Division licenses and regulates payday lenders, mortgage and other non-bank lenders, mortgage servicers, escrow agents and companies, and other financial service providers.
The Securities Regulation Division (SRD) is responsible for the qualification of the offer and sale of securities, and the licensing and regulation of broker-dealers, broker-dealer agents and investment advisers pursuant to the Corporate Securities Law of 1968. SRD also registers the offer and sale of franchises under the Franchise Investment Law and Licenses capital access companies under the Capital Access Company Law.
The Enforcement Division enforces the laws and regulations administered by the DOC.
Licensees and Industries Regulated by the Division
- Bucket Shop Law
- California Finance Lenders
- California Residential Mortgage Lenders
- Capital Access Companies
- Check Sellers, Bill Payers and Proraters
- Payday Lending (Deferred Deposit Transactions)
- Escrow Agents/ Escrow Laws
- Franchises (Franchise Investment Law)
- Investment Advisers
- Mortgage Loan Originators
- Small Dollar Consumer Loans (Pilot Program)
- Securities Broker-Dealers (Corporate Securities Law of 1968)
- Securities Depository Law