California Finance Lenders Law
- About the Law
- Who is required to obtain a Finance Lenders License or Branch License under the Finance Lenders Law?,
- How do I apply for a Finance Lenders License or Authorize a Branch Office under the Finance Lenders Law?
- Requirements after a Finance Lenders License has been Issued
- How Do I Amend a Finance Lenders License or a Branch Office License under the Finance Lenders Law?
- How Do I Surrender a Finance Lenders License or a Branch Office License under the Finance Lenders Law?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Regulations, Legislation, Opinions, Releases
- Residential Mortgage Loan Report (2013) (PDF)
Companies licensed under the California Finance Lenders Law, California Deferred Deposit Transaction Law, and Escrow Law, may access the Self-Service DOCQNET Portal to submit applications for licensure, view the status of applications, submit annual report information, and update contact information.
NMLS Consumer Access is a fully searchable website that allows the public to view information concerning state-licensed mortgage companies, branches and individuals currently licensed through NMLS.
Information on CFL licensing requirements for companies and branches engaged in making or brokering loans secured by residential real property is also available in NMLS.
An application for a license under the California Finance Lenders Law for residential mortgage providers (mortgage lenders, brokers, mortgage lenders and brokers, and mortgage loan originators) should be filed through the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS).
- 01/31/2016 - The form and instructions for the 2015 Annual Report for Lenders and Brokers under the California Finance Lenders Law are now available at http://www.dbo.ca.gov/Licensees/Finance_Lenders/Forms.asp. Starting with the 2015 annual report, licensees must now complete and submit the report online on the DBO’s website via the self-service portal. The report is due on or before March 15, 2016.
- 10/19/2015 – The portal for filing applications online to obtain California Finance Lender (CFL), Deferred Deposit Transaction (CDDTL) and Escrow licenses is now available. Applicants may file applications and pay licensing and other fees using the portal found at https://docqnet.dbo.ca.gov. Questions should be directed to CFL.email@example.com, CDDTL.firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- 03/11/15 - In response to issues that have arisen as a result of trying to submit the annual report, the department is providing Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) to assist filers with the upload process.
- 02/26/15 - Effective January 1, 2015, the California Finance Lenders Law includes an exemption for nonprofit organizations facilitating zero-interest, low-cost consumer loans through lending circles and other programs that allow individuals to establish and build credit histories or to improve their credit score. Information on the minimum requirements for the exemption and links to the application and related forms are available here.
- For Archives Click Here
- Bona Fide Nonprofit Affordable Housing Organizations
- Finance Lender Consumer Information
- Search the Licensee Listing
Information on persons licensed under CFL that are engaged in making or brokering loans secured by residential real property is also available in NMLS Consumer Access.