News Release: 2012
- 11/16/12 – California Department of Corporations Honored for Work with Disabled Veteran Enterprises and Small Businesses The Business Operations Section and Laurie Cootz received State Agency Recognition Awards from the Department of General Services
- 10/12/12 – California Agencies Issue Alert on Mortgage Loan Modification Scams
The Departments of Corporations and Real Estate have issued a joint Consumer Alert regarding mortgage loan modification scams.
- 08/29/12 – California Department of Corporations Grants Permit to Facebook for Acquisition of Instagram
- 08/15/12 – California Department of Corporations Issues Warning on Internet Payday Lenders
The Department has issued a Consumer Alert regarding unlicensed online payday lenders.
- 08/14/12 – The Department has posted an Internet Payday Lending Alert for consumers who use payday cash advances from online lenders.
- 08/09/12 – California Department of Corporations Sanctions Restaurant Franchising Scam
The Department has issued an enforcement action against Pho Citi Franchising Company to include restitution for past franchisees. [PDF | Word]
- 08/08/12 – California State Senate Confirms Jan Lynn Owen as Commissioner of Department of Corporations.
Jan Lynn Owen officially becomes the 39th Commissioner of the 99-year old Department of Corporations.
- 06/12/12 - California Department of Corporations to Observe Annual Elder Abuse Awareness Day on June 15.
The Department will participate in several events listed on the Education & Outreach Calendar.
- 06/01/12 – California Department of Corporations Announces Restitution of Millions to Defrauded Investors.
The Department has successfully concluded an investment fraud case resulting in restitution to investors of $25 million.
- 05/16/12 - California Department of Corporations Advises Investor Caution With Crowdfunding Opportunities.
The Department has posted an Investor Alert with information and advice.
- 04/02/12 – State Agencies Highlight the Importance of Financial Literacy During the Month of April
The Department of Corporations observes the 12th annual National Financial Literacy Month.
- 03/09/12 - California Department of Corporations Warns Consumers of Top Investor Traps.
In recognition of National Consumer Protection Week, these investor tips are provided.
- 03/02/12 - California Department of Corporations Participates in National Consumer Protection Week, March 4-10.
State agencies to provide resources and events promoting consumer awareness and financial literacy.
- 01/13/12 - California Announces Settlement with E*Trade Securities to Recover Millions for Investors in Auction Rate Securities.
E*Trade customers with eligible redeemable auction rate securities may contact E*Trade directly toll-free at (888) 296-0880 or go to http://www.etradearsbuyin.com/.